Thursday, March 12, 2009

Oops! Don't forget to model.

Here are the latest thoughts from the world of writing workshop:
1. I had fun doing the "stretching out our stories" mini lesson. This is a big step for kids and will really open up their writing worlds. Ironically, it's the same thing I found myself saying to upper grade kids. This one takes a long time to master.
2. At the end of our workshop on Tuesday, I told the kids to share what they wrote that day with their talking partners...about one minute each. Oops! I did it without modeling. Sheryl and I stopped the chaos and modeled a sharing moment together. Sometimes I forget those teaching basics.
3. It would have been better to model the sharing procedure in a mini lesson the next day...to prep for it better and devote more time...instead of piling it on Tuesday's workshop. This is when I think three days a week would be best for our situation. Doing two days of pre-planned mini lessons and then one day with a mini lesson that generated by needs we see arising during class. I think I'm trying to pile too much into the two days and that creates a lot of teacher talking!
4. Hopefully, we can finish this unit of study right before spring break. We need to talk about the next unit of study...which one to do.
5. Beth and Dionne, are you feeling supported enough? After spring break, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea for Sheryl to take over the Monday workshop in room 6, I'll still do Tuesdays Room 6...but then I can come one morning a week to observe/coach/help confer/do mini lessons...whatever you need...in the other K rooms...maybe just for April? Also, do you want some lunch meetings or after school moments to talk about ww...whatever you need is fine with me...well, within reason! Just let me know.
6. I think it might be a good idea to tape some of my conferences. What do you think? Do I need to get some permission slips for that?
7. Thanks so much for being so fearless and going for it! You ladies amaze me!
Cheers, Lorrie

No comments:

Post a Comment